9.02.2010

Is she....

WALKING YET?
Yes.
Annie walks.
09.01.10



Up until this Wednesday, Annie would take a step here, or there, but nothing we could consider truly walking on her own. But on Wednesday afternoon, Annie and I took our usual afternoon stroll up and down our block. Sometimes we take a push toy, sometimes Annie just holds my hand, sometimes we wear shoes, often we do not. Maybe it was because she was walking downhill a bit? Maybe it was the new, cheap, shoes from Walmart? Whatever it was, it was magic...

Those first steps are supposed to be so amazing, I've often thought I would do cartwheels when she took them. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized, it wasn't that big of a deal. Oh but it was. It wasn't the steps themselves that were so incredible. It was the look on her face as she stood alone, shaky, terrified and looking around for something to hold onto. Completely capable of not only standing alone, but probably running down the street if she had the confidence to do so. But yet, there she was, lower lip out, ready to pout. She wanted so badly to plop down and whimper as she so often does. But not this time! She stuck that lower lip out a little farther, waved her arms around as if to test her balance, and then toddled on down the five or six steps it was to get to me. Annie doesn't hug (she doesn't have time for such things) but as she toddled, she held her arms out, sped up, and threw her little arms around my neck. She was no longer pouting, but grinning and giggling.


She's been testing those walking legs a few times a day since. I love setting her somewhere and running ahead, so that she'll come wobbling towards me, arms outstretched, ready to give me another proud hug.


http://s708.photobucket.com/albums/ww86/MeekFam/?action=view¤t=zootripandanniewalks2-1.mp4

No comments:

Post a Comment